What happened to Arthur Labinjo-Hughes today – News

The government is conducting a nationwide review of the murder of 6-year-old Arthur Labinjo-Hughes to protect other children from harm and to identify areas that need improvement in institutions that had contact with him before his death.

Education Minister Nadhim Zahawi (Nadhim Zahawi) announced on Sunday that the government will not rest until it gets the answers it needs.

Arthur was tortured and killed after several weeks of ill-treatment during the lockdown last year. Family members found bruises on the boy’s body and notified the social services department of their concerns, but a home visit revealed that there was “no safety issue”.

Arthur suffered an unsurvivable brain injury during the solo care of 32-year-old Emma Tustin. Emma Tustin in Solihull on June 16, 2020 (Solihull) was convicted of murder for assaulting a child and was sentenced to life imprisonment on Friday. Tustin’s minimum sentence is 29 years, and Arthur’s father Thomas Hughes was sentenced to 21 years in prison for manslaughter.

“Arthur’s murder shocked and shocked the entire country. I am deeply saddened by this terrible case and the meaningless suffering that this poor boy suffered, he was denied the opportunity to live,” Zahavi said.

Death of Arthur Labinjo-Hughes

An undated family handout photo of Arthur Labinjo-Hughes and his biological mother Olivia Labinjo-Halcrow. Emma Tustin was sentenced to life imprisonment in Coventry Criminal Court for at least 29 years for cruelly starving, poisoning and murdering her 6-year-old stepson.

On June 16, 2020, the 32-year-old young man attacked the young man with violent force in the corridor of her home on Cranmore Road in Solihull. He died in the hospital the next day. Release Date: Friday, December 3, 2021. PA photos. See PA Story Court Arthur. The source of the photo should be: Olivia Labinjo-Halcrow/PA Wire. Note to editors: This handout photo can only be used for editorial reporting purposes and to illustrate the events, things or people in the image or the facts mentioned in the title. The reuse of images may require further permission from the copyright owner.

“I can announce that the current government is conducting a national review of the circumstances that led to his tragic death to determine what improvements the agencies that contacted him need to make.

“This will identify the lessons that must be learned from the Arthur case for the benefit of other children elsewhere in England, led by the National Child Protection Practice Review Team, which will work with Solihull in a partnership to protect children.”

The national review will actually “upgrade” the existing local review, which was initiated shortly after Arthur’s death in June 2020, but was suspended due to court cases.

Zahavi also stated that the government is entrusting four inspection agencies, covering social care, health, police and probation, to conduct urgent inspections of Solihull’s protection agencies who knew about Arthur’s case.

He said: “All agencies responsible for protecting children at risk of abuse and neglect in Solihull will undergo joint target area inspections to consider their effectiveness and make recommendations on areas that must be improved.”

“We are determined to protect children from harm, and when asking questions, we will take urgent and forceful action without hesitation. We will not rest until we get the answers we need,” he added.

Zahawi is expected to make a statement to the House of Commons on Arthur’s case on Monday.

On Sunday, hundreds of people gathered in Solihull near Tustin’s site to pay tribute to Arthur. The crowd released balloons and laid flowers to commemorate him. Others posted posters and pictures on the wooden house where the family once lived.

When talking about Arthur’s case, Dame Rachel de Souza, the Commissioner for Children of England, urged the Prime Minister not to close schools again after the Omicron variant appeared, because the blockade weakened the support system for children.

“I think there is no doubt that the blockade is so shocking for the entire country that it weakens the support system,” she told BBC One’s Andrew Marr show. “But in Arthur’s case, there are indeed many professionals around him. He did have home visits. We have to wait and hear what happened there.”

She said that more work must be done to help social workers discover cases like Arthur. “The system must support the professional curiosity of social workers, not distract them from other things. This is not a quick solution, but a simple suggestion. The best place in this country has been spent three or four years, It takes five years to do this. This is a tough job, but we must do it for Arthur, and we must do it.”

In the next few days, the Department of Education (DfE) will work with the country team and Solihull partners to agree on a timetable for commenting.

In a statement, DfE said: “The national review takes into account the importance and scale of Arthur’s murder and allows the results of the investigation to be disseminated nationwide to improve practice and identify lessons that must be learned.”

Leave a Comment